Wednesday, August 13, 2008

30 - 21 of 30

So I originally wanted make of post of the top 20 albums for me, of all time, but that quickly turned into top 25, then just as fast to top 30, so here is the the last ten on the list, we'll break it down into 10 albums at a time so I don't have one mega post that's thirty feet long. Please read and comment, this took forever to figure out and to write and even longer to post these pictures. Thanks Ya'll!

30: MEMORY ALMOST FULL - PAUL McCARTNEY


Starting with the single Dance Tonight this album starts strong, and doesn't disappoint. I was nervous to buy my first Paul McCartney CD, I mean The Beatles are great, but I've been more of a written by Jon Lennon Beatles song fan than a written by Paul fan, but I saw the music video while me and my brand new wife were unpacking in our brand new apartment in a brand new town, it was a catchy song and Natalie Portman was in the video, always a plus. I needed a new CD and there was a Gray Whale just down the street, I ran down there and bought it and have loved it ever since, maybe it just reminds of the beginning of my marriage, but I always feel like listening to it. Key tracks include: Dance Tonight, You Tell Me, Mr. Bellamy, Vintage Clothes and Nod Your Head.

29: UNPLUGGED IN NEW YORK - NIRVANA

I think if you could somehow add up all times you've listened to any one album this one would be at the very top, well about 3 years ago I know it would. I put this album in the CD player at the restaurant I worked at back then and listened to it about 4 times a night! It's such an intimate album, it's as if Nirvana were in the same room as you, just playing for you personally. Key tracks: The Man Who Sold The World, Plataea, Oh Me and Where Did You Sleep Last Night.


28: SONGS FOR THE DEAF - QUEENS OF THE STONE AGE

When I first heard this CD it was in my first apartment with a stupid roommate of mine and has a man crush on Dave Grohl, he bought this CD only because Dave Grohl drums for them on this disc. I instantly hated this CD, for starters I did not approve of my roommates taste in uh anything really, and I was not going to condone his crush on Dave Grohl and listen to this album. I then saw the music video for No One Knows and that build up ending in a bass solo just grabbed me, I purchased the album and almost every song on it is great, and it is great because of Dave Grohl's drumming, every other QOTSA album is lame and I think it's in a large part to the drumming, don't tell my old roommate that Dave made the CD what it is, he'll have a man-gasm, but this CD is very very good. Key tracks: No One Knows, Song for the Dead, The Sky is Fallin' and Another Love song.


27: HYBRID THEORY - LINKIN PARK


This is actually the very first CD I ever bought, I loved how they mixed hip-hop beats and rock vocals and they didn't rap about loser gangster topics, a lot of these CDs on this last part of the top 30 are the CDs that helped form my opinions about music today, they kind of showed the way to what I'd eventually start liking, this album is an excellent example of that. Key Tracks: Crawling, In The End, A Place For My Head, Forgotten and Cure for the Itch.


26:NEON BIBLE - ARCADE FIRE


When I would tell people the kind of music I like, Arcade Fire was never mentioned by me, but the person I would be telling would ask if I've heard them and they thought I would like them. I checked out their EP and Funeral, they both had a couple okay songs, but nothing that made me love them, then I heard they were releasing a new CD, I wasn't too stoked about it. I heard some tracks, bought a couple on iTunes, but still nothing. I put some on my work playlist and every time on came on I would be turning it up and soon I would just be listening to Arcade Fire, Neon Bible is a very solid CD. Key tracks include: Keep the Car Running, Intervention, Black Wave / Bad Vibrations and No Cars Go.


25:SHOW YOUR BONES - YEAH YEAH YEAHS


This is the only, yep the only band I can stand that the lead singer happens to be a girl. I don't do that intentionally, girl singers in rock/alternative bands just suck! Karen O of the Yeah Yeah Yeahs is different though, it really seems like this is who she is, while other female singers seem to be trying to hard or pretending to be something else. I really really like this CD, well most tracks, but the tracks that are good are really really good, and these are those tracks, Gold Lion, Way Out, Phenomenon and, my personal favorite, Honeybear.


24: FASHION NUGGET - CAKE


Cake rules, if you don't know about Cake buy this CD. He is the best lyricist and the instrumentation is great! This is another CD that shaped how I look and listen to music now, almost every track on this CD is perfect. Key tracks are: Frank Sinatra, The Distance, Friend Is a Four Letter Word, Open Book, Daria, Perhaps, Perhaps, Perhaps, It's Coming Down and Italian Leather Sofa, yeah a lot of awesome songs!


23: OK COMPUTER - RADIOHEAD


Radiohead is one of the best bands in the world, and this CD is where they first proved it, with tracks like Airbag, Paranoid Android, Karma Police, Electroneering and No Surprises, there really is no need to say more, listen to these songs and try to tell me Radiohead isn't great.



22: STADIUM ARCADIUM


A year or so before Stadium Arcadium hit the shelves, the Foo Fighters released a double disc album that sucked, In Your Honor probably was THE worst upset for me in music ever. I was so excited for In Your Honor and it just sucked so hard. It taught me not to get too excited for any CD, so when I heard Stadium Arcadium was going to be a double disc I was, needless to say, scared. The first single wasn't that great and I was setting up this disc for failure before I even heard it. I bought it because, well they're the Chili Peppers, and after the first of 2 discs I was hooked. Dani California did no do this CD justice, nor did any of the other single they choose, but all the songs they didn't choose for singles are so well written and just overall great that this double disc album did not disappoint. Best songs are: Desecration Smile, Hard to Concentrate, 21st Century, Hump de Bump, Torture Me, Strip My Mind, Especially In Michigan, We Believe, Wet Sand and Hey. It really is that good.


21: GUERO - BECK


Beck's "come back" album if you ask me. This is such a fun album, that's what I love about the new Beck, the CDs are just so much fun. I love the urban beats and the dance grooves, the lyrics, synthesized sounds and instrumentation's are almost perfect. This is an album you could listen to all day everyday for a week and not get sick of it. Best tracks are: Que' Onda Guero, E-Pro, Girl, Earthquake Weather, Hell Yes, Go It Alone, Farewell Ride, Rental Car, and Emergency Exit. Man this is a great album


Well that's the first ten, it turned out to be a pretty long post after all, but it's still only a quarter of what I could have wrote about these albums, they are all just so amazing! Thanks for reading!

1 comment:

Derek said...

great post. i <3 hybrid theory. first cd.. number one better not be in rainbows or somethin like that.. make it worth it..