Tuesday, May 27, 2008

IT; is what they are.

One Day, my unborn child said, "Yo Craig, what are the greatest bands alive?" I was not only excited to talk to my unborn child, but also to impress upon him the importance of that question, I said, "Dearest Baby, I will tell you...."

1. Radiohead-
Radiohead is a band I've grown to like in my later years of life. Junior High I said, "Radiohead, Shmadiohead." But to hear that said to me makes me sad for the ignorance of such a person. Radiohead is the band I want to be. Radiohead is amazing instrumention orchestrated together in such a way you have to listen to it five times to understand it's awesomeness. Their lyrics are out of this world, words, rhymes, stories and thoughts I could never even dream about. Thom Yorke's melodies he writes and the depth of his voice is second only to the amazing talents of Johnny Greenwood annihilating the standards for lead guitarist, his brother Colin Greenwood, thumping out the most somber, catchy, rythmatic and "make you want to dance" bass lines someone could dream to invent, Ed O'Brien, singing back up for Yorke and strumming alongside Johnny, and Phil Selway an amazement of a drummer, he makes sure everyone listening to Radiohead is tapping their feet or nodding their head. If any member went missing, Radiohead would cease to exist. I could go on and on. If you are unfamiliar with Radiohead check out, Karma Police, Paranoid Android, I Might Be Wrong, Knives Out, Where I End and You Begin, There There, 15 Step, Bodysnatchers, Nude and Jigsaw Falling Into Place. If you don't like any of those I'll give you five bucks! And I'll slap you.

2. Weezer
Weezer, oh where to begin. Weezer is a moving band, they can make you happy and sad with the same song, nay, the same sentence. Weezer can write the catchiest melodies known to man. Everyone can sing along to Weezer. Weezer invented music as it is today. Weezer is the grandfather of punk, emo, rock and indie. Weezer is amazing melodies, indetifying lyrics, over simple yet epic use of instruments. Amazing solo's by lead guitarist Bryan Bell, Pat Wilson know's when to use and not to use his awesome talents on the drums, their ever changing bassist added their own contributions to their greatness, and last and most certainly not least Rivers Cuomo. Rivers is Weezer. He writes and sings all Weezer songs, his dorky/mysterious demeanor make fans go crazy for him. Live Weezer is dead on, and like Craig always says, if you can't do it live you can't do it at all. Key tracks, Say it Ain't So, Only in Dreams, Island in The Sun, Hashpipe, Slob, Death and Destruction, Burndt Jam, Haunt You Everyday and soon to be classics, The Greatest Man That Ever Lived and Pork and Beans.

That's all I have time to tell you today, those are the two best bands still making music. Let me know your favorites! More of mine to come in the following weeks.
-CRaig

2 comments:

Mindy said...

Radiohead, schmadiohead...
I'm kidding, I bet Heather is just glad to hear you mentioning anything about an unborn child. Will you consider a review of the new Coldplay album when it comes out? I have a good feeling about it. Also, would you consider a "Craig's Cooking Corner" type topic every now and then. I would appreciate cooking tips and ideas from the chef himself.

Amy Bateman said...

Have you heard of such bands as:

Arcade Fire
Wolf Parade
Rogue Wave

and if so, thoughts opinions?

Mindy has the best suggestions ever, but can I make one tweak? Please change the title to something a little more creative like ... "Craig's Cooking Couch." Everyone has a corner these days.