Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Coldplay and Such

Sorry it's been so long since I've posted anything, I had an awesome Lake Powell trip and had plenty of time to listen to Viva La Vida or Death and All His Friends, by Coldplay.


Colplay as a band started pretty strong with there debut album Parachutes and hit single Yellow, I personally wasn't a Coldplay fan till their next album A Rush of Blood to the Head, I really like the piano in it, I'm a piano junkie, and with songs like Polotik, In My Place, The Scientist and Clocks, Rush of Blood was a must have album back in 2002. I was really excited to hear what else Coldplay could do, then X&Y came out.

Lame, I think that's the best word to sum up that album, Chris Martin seemed to be using the same old tricks to write "hits". The result, a mediocore and non-inventive album.

Fast forward to 2008 Viva La Vida is about to come out, there are 2 singles available, the title track Viva La Vida and Violet Hill, I was so dissapointed in Coldplay's last album I didn't even listen to either of them. I heard snippets of Viva on an iTunes commercial which was also a step down in my book, iTunes commercials are so stupid! I began to see album art for the new disc and promo photo's of the band for their disc which shot them wearing what looks like a highschool marching band clothes that they have been wearing for like 2 weeks, it's a wonder I even got this album at all. Then I heard Chris Martin's comment claiming that, according to him, Coldplay is the best band in the world. Wow............wow. Saying anything like that about your own band is such a stupid thing to say, he could say he thinks he works harder, he likes his music a lot, but the best band in the world? Far from it. Well let me get to the album itself.

Upon my first listen I felt like Coldplay was trying to use gimmicks to get more people to like, but after some more intense listening I could tell they were trying new writing methods and putting in some new instruments, it's more prog rock rather than verse chorus verse chorus of the usual softrock of Coldplay. I really started to like it.

It's a pretty solid album, with only 2 or 3 skippable tracks, namely Lovers in Japan, and Death and All His Friends, but there are really some good records on this album, Cemeteries of London, Lost!, Strawberry Swing and Violet Hill are my key tracks, Viva La Vida(the song) would be good if they put some heavier drums into the chorus, Yes, would be good if they didn't put that stupid Indian sounding strings solo into, but there's no hope for Death and All His Friends, it's just a dumb song.

Overall I think this will be their best selling album to date, the greatest band in the world? They are not. The best album ever made? Far from it. Solid, better than the average Coldplay album? You Betcha. Offical Score? 67%


1 comment:

Derek said...

coldplay schmoldplay if you ask me. give me clocks or give me death.

ps. dude. i have a blog now.