Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Weezer (Red Album)

The day is June 4th, only 24 hours have passed since I first heard all new songs off Weezer's sixth studio album.
There are few things in my life that I truly love in my life, BESIDES my lovely wife Heather of course.
These things, in no particular order are: that clop clop sound my long board makes when riding on sidewalks, the metallic sliding sound an acousitc guitar makes when switching chords, playing a brand new song you've writtten, all the way through with a full band for the first time and getting those chills when it sounds like a real song, and then times that feeling and chills by 10, when you play that song in front of hundreds of people and they love it as much as you do. At the very top of that list is the feeling I get when putting a new CD into my CD player and just listening.
The surprise, unexpectedness and unforseen... uh ness of a good bands newest work, and Weezer being one of my favorite bands of all time, you can just imagine what it's like.
I've already told why I love Weezer in my post "IT, is what they are" So I'm going to review this disc, one song at a time.



Troublemaker: The first track on CD's kind of CD set the tone for the rest of disc, this track leaked a couple weeks before CD so I got an early look at this song. Kind of a faster paced song, could easily be a radio sinlge, awesome and funny lyrics, 6.5 out of 10

The Greatest Man That Ever Lived: This song blew me away when I first heard it, this track also leaked a week or two before the CD. This song has like ten different parts all thrown together in one song, it's got rap, rock, falsetto (my favorite), and classic Weezer--esque parts. All in all just an awesome inventive song. 7.5 out of 10

Pork and Beans: This is their first single of the CD. The first single is always weird to me, it always seems like the first single is a song that sounds similar to their old stuff to kind of get the fans of the old CD's to buy the new one, it never really feels like it belongs when you buy the album later. Pork and Beans has similar sounds to some really old Weezer songs. This song was written after a meeting Weezer had with some record execs where he was told to be more commercially acceptable. Weezer's lyrics are so specific to Rivers you know exactly what he's going through, we haven't heard this personal of lyrics from Weezer since Pinkerton and I love it! 6.5 out of 10.

Heart Songs: This is Rivers/Weezers tribute to his influences of the past. It's his ode to his heroes. The whole CD is a little slower than the previously leaked tracks would suggest, but I'm all about ballads though. This song isn't too slow, just a good overall Weezer song, one of my favorite from the CD. Little does Weezer know that out of my like 50 or so personally "heart songs" they claim like 30 of them. 7 out of 10

Everybody Get Dangerous: This is the fastest song on the album, think Hashpipe, or We Are All On Drugs, just minus the drug references. This songs about Rivers and his friends being hellians in the past. It's a fun song, fast guitars, awesome drums and lyrics that remind me when I was a youngster. 6 out of 10

Dreamin': I freaking love this song, got a sublte blue album feel to it, musically and lyrics wise. This is the first song we get to hear some other band memebers sing a pretty main part of the song, in the bridge of the song Bryan Bell the guitarist takes over singing for a bit. He's not a bad singer. The song kind of has a symphonic feel to it. I love the lyrics to this song, some more personal lyrics thrown into the mix. 8 out of 10

Thought I Knew: Worst song on the CD, Bryan Bell takes over as lead singer and writer on this song, orginally written for his band The Rentels. He's got an okay voice and put together an average song, it's nothing compared Rivers though. This song has a 1990's feel to it. Give me RIVERS! 4 out of 10

Cold Dark World: One of my favorite tracks on the CD. Non-unsual lyrical melodies as far as Weezer goes. Written by Scott Shriner (Weezer's bassist) and Rivers, Scott also sings lead on this song, he keeps his vocals low on this song and grungy, but still epic. 7.5 out of 10

Automatic: This song was actually written and sung by drummer Pat Wilson, it's got some synthesizers and piano in it. A really good song, not one the best but still very good, but like I said before. Give me RIVERS. He knows how to write songs and can give me what I want.
5.5 out of 10

The Angel and the One: I really love this song, it's a slower track, reminds of Only in Dreams, a little. Awesome lyrics and instrumentation. Classic Weezer feel to it and a simple but amazing outtro. I really want to see this track live. 8 out of 10


Miss Sweeney (Bonus Track): This is definatly one of my favorites on the whole CD, it's worth buying the Deluxe Version of the CD just for this song. This feels the most like a classic Weezer song. A beatiful love song with a clever story in it. It's the story of Pam and Jim from The Office, with names changed to protect the innocent :) Just change Sweeney to Beasley and you've got their story. 8.5 out 10

Pig (Bonus Track): This song has been circulating the internet for months now and Weezer obliging to thousands of fan requests added it to this CD. I am really glad they did, fun lyrics over simple yet awesome instrument use. Story of being a pig, from baby piglet to slaughter house. 7.5 out of 10

The Spider (Bonus Track): This songs about, you guessed it a spider. A Spider stuck in a drain scared to die, kind of a weak song compared to rest, but listen to it by itself it can hold is own. 6 out of 10

King (Bonus Track): This song, written by Cuomo and sung by bassist Scott Shriner again is a really well put together song, I really like Scott Shriners voice in the songs he sings with Rivers doing some back up vocals. 7 out of 10

That's it, sorry it's so long, overall though Weezer's Red Album gets an 90% I doubt you'll see an album review that good again, unless I start reviewing old CDs.


Please support the awesomeness that is Weezer and BUY THIS ALBUM, don't ask me to burn you a copy, for some bands I refuse to be a part of ripping them off. :) Well let me know what you think of the album if you've got it.

3 comments:

natesac said...

Great review. I'll have to sit down and listen to the whole thing sometime.

natesac said...

Great review. I'll have to sit down and listen to the whole thing sometime.

Heather said...

Wow, you really do love Weezer!! Sometimes I think you love their band more than you love your own wife. I gotta say, they are good and their new album is one of the best (definitely better than "Make Believe").